At Brandesburton School, we aim for excellence in English progress and achievement throughout the school. We aim to develop pupils’ abilities within an integrated program of Speaking & Listening, Phonics, Spelling, Reading and Writing.
Pupils will be given opportunities to develop their use, knowledge and understanding of spoken and written English within a broad and balanced curriculum, with opportunities to consolidate and reinforce taught English skills.
At Brandesburton School we strive for all children to:
- read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding, using a range of independent strategies to take responsibility for their own learning including self-correcting their own errors;
- develop a love of reading and a desire to read for enjoyment;
- develop an interest in words and their meanings;
- developing a growing vocabulary in relation to grammatical terminology;
- understand a range of text types and genres;
- be able to write in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to the situation;
- use their developing creativity, imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness;
- have a suitable technical vocabulary to respectfully articulate their responses in any discussion.